Sudha Shenoy was an economist trained in Austrian tradition and a proponent of classical liberal ideas. Born in 1943 to the economist B R Shenoy, she completed her education at Mount Carmel School and St Xavier’s College. She would further enrol at LSE, UVA, and SOAS for higher education. At LSE, she established the Whig Society on the advice of F A Hayek.
As an economist, she was well versed in topics like the common law, the history of international trade, and the life and work of FA Hayek. She was elected a member of the prestigious Mont Pelerin society in 1972. Her academic career spanned lectureship in economic history at the University of Newcastle, Australia; and visiting professorships at California State University, Hayward; Ohio University, Athens; George Mason University and Mises Institute.
In her last days, she was working on a biography of Hayek and the British economic history through 1914, showing the intertwined growth of common law, market order, and the capital structure. She always emphasised on the importance of knowledge of economic history for a student of economics.
Dr. Sudha R. Shenoy passed away on 31 May 2008 at the age of 65 after a long battle with cancer.
- Central Planning in India: A Critical Review (Wiley Eastern, 1971).
- India: Progress or Poverty? A Review of the Outcome of Central Planning in India, 1951-69 (Institute of Economic Affairs, 1971).
- Towards A Theoretical Framework For British And International Economic History (Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2010).
- Underdevelopment and Economic Growth (Longman Group, 1970).
- Inflation: Phonotape (Sydney, 1974).
- A Tiger by the Tail: A 40-years’ Running Commentary on Keynesianism by Hayek (ed. Institute of Economic Affairs, 1972).
|Under Development And Economic Growth (London: Longman, 1970)|
|Central Planning In India: A Critical Review|
|India: Progress or Poverty?: A Review of the Outcome of Central Planning in India, 1951-69, (London: IEA, 1971)|
|A Tiger By the Tail: The Keynesian Legacy of Inflation by F.A. Hayek (1972, 1978, and 1979)|
|Wage-Price Control: Myth and Reality | R1 | 01 February 1978, Center for Independent Studies, Australia|
|The Indian Libertarian Volume : 5 ;Issue: 18||1 December 1957|
|The Indian Libertarian Volume : 5 ;Issue: 15||1 October 1957|
Talks & Lectures
How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Trade Deficit | Sudha Shenoy
Lecture presented by Sudha R Shenoy at the Ludwig von Mises Institute in Auburn, Alabama; October 26, 2006.